Preparation time: 45 minutes, Freeze time 1 hour, and Bake time 30 minutes
Yield: 1 (9-inch) tart
Supplies you’ll need:
9-inch removable bottom tart pan
a little flour for rolling out dough
small heavy-duty zip-top bag
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
2-1/2 cups pecan halves, chopped
1 package refrigerated pie crusts
2 teaspoons sugar, divided into two single teaspoons
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1 cup sugar and 1/4 water to a boil until sugar is dissolved.
Cover and boil over medium-high heat for 8 minutes. Do not stir, only swirl the pan occasionally until golden brown.
- Remove from heat, and gradually stir in whipping cream. Mixture will bubble.
- To make the Pecan Mixture: Add butter, honey, and salt. Stir until smooth. Then, stir in pecans and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Then, remove from heat, and cool completely.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll 1 of the refrigerated pie crusts into an 11-inch circle. Trim away the excess over the edges. Freeze the crust for 30 minutes.
- Spread the pecan mixture into the crust. Unfold the remaining pie crust, and roll into a 10-inch circle. Place over mixture, pressing into the bottom crust to seal; trim away the edges. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of sugar. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Place chocolate in a small, heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag and seal. Submerge in hot water until chocolate melts. Snip a tiny hole in 1 corner of the zip-top bag and drizzle chocolate over tart. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar.